Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chocolate Amaretti Torte
This week, Holly of Phe/MOM/enon, picked the Chocolate Amaretti Torte. You can get the recipe at her website. I didn't get to eat even one tiny sliver of my torte! It was my entry in the Citizen's Union Bank Relay for Life bake sale fundraiser. My husband works at CUB, and they seem like they're always having a potluck or a bake off or a bake sale, which I love because it gives me a great excuse to bake! (And the CUB employees like it too!) I decided this week to kill two birds with one stone and make my TWD recipe for the bake sale, which was a pretty big leap of faith because I have never tried this recipe before! Anyway, I couldn't find the cookies Dorie said we needed for the cake. I even went to a specialty store in Louisville and couldn't find amaretti! So I bought some other kind of almond cookie, which was delicious! They were a little shortbready, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. Dorie says this torte is "15-Minute Magic" because it should only take about 15 minutes to get into the oven. I think it probably took me a little longer than that, but not by much. I was excited to use my food processor...I've never made a cake using it before! Dorie also said that the cake wouldn't rise much, but I think mine rose pretty much the same amount as any cake would. The batter was delicious, as was the glaze, so I figure they had to be good after baking! After I got the cake in the oven, I realized that I should have kept one or two of the little cookies to use as a garnish, but David and I had eaten them already. Oops! David said the bank folks thought the torte was from a bakery, so I guess the simple garnish of almonds didn't look too goofy. My torte brought $22.00 at the bake sale. I got third. The lady who won first place made 100 chocolate eggs and sold each one for $1. I think that's cheating. I thought the rules meant that the one single item bringing the most money would win. I don't mind being beaten fair and square, but I don't like to be beaten by a cheater! I missed out on some good Pampered Chef goodies! Oh, well...I'll know better next year! I'll have to make the torte again sometime so I can have a piece!





1 comment:

  1. First off it looks great! Second I agree she cheated! Sorry you didn't get to try it, it was wonderful :) Maybe you can make it another time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...