Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pizza from Leftovers Challenge!
Yesterday afternoon, I was trying to decide what to make for supper. Of course, I thought about something made from chicken...probably some kind of pasta and chicken dish. But then, I had a flash of brilliance and decided that I wanted pizza. I hadn't had pizza in a long time, and I knew David would be more excited about pizza than the prospect of yet another variation of chicken. I decided to challenge myself and make my pizza entirely out of leftovers, just stuff we had around the house. Luckily for me, I had a portion of pizza dough leftover from my Superbowl Pizza Extravaganza, during which time I fed my parents and my in-laws since they had been out of electricity for a week due to a huge ice storm. I had never used frozen pizza dough, and it was a bit of a bear to roll out. But I persevered!
I was sure that I had about half a pound of Italian sausage in the freezer, but to my dismay, it was just ground beef. *sigh* I did try to jazz it up a little with some Italian seasonings, onion, and garlic. It did give it a little kick.
I also didn't have any pizza sauce. However, I did have some tomato sauce and a variety of spices, so I made do. It turned out better than I thought!
Let's start putting this pizza together, whaddaya say?

The homemade, thrown together pizza sauce was a little runnier than I would have liked, but it worked fine in a pinch. I had about four partial bags of different shredded cheeses, so I used those. We had some red onion in the fridge and some black olives (YUM!). I put a little olive oil around the edges of the crust, just to make it crispier and because I thought it would be a good idea. I baked it on my pizza stone at 400 degrees for a little while (I can't remember how long...maybe 20 minutes?), and pretty soon, we had pizza-from-leftovers goodness!
It would have been better with Italian sausage, but I have to admit, it was pretty darn good to have been made entirely of leftovers! I think David was pretty impressed, too. But he's generally amazed that I can get a couple of chicken breasts and some canned veggies on the table in less than 20 minutes. He's not picky and easy to please. Just a couple of the many reasons I love him!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...