Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TWD: Fresh Mango Bread
Even though I haven't officially been a member of Tuesdays With Dorie for all that long, I've been baking lots of things out of the cookbook (Baking: From My Home to Yours). I have decided that this is pretty much my very favorite recipe so far. I have a soft spot for quick breads, though. I love quick breads of any kind...I'd rather have a quick bread over just about anything. But this quick bread falls into the category of one that I would have never made if I hadn't been a member of TWD. I mean, I live in small town Kentucky! Who makes mango bread?! I like mangoes, but I had never thought of using them in a quick bread, but I have Kelly, from Baking with the Boys to thank for encouraging me to make this one!
Here's what you need:
flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, some eggs, brown sugar, lime zest, a mango (duh) some oil, sugar, and golden raisins. Let me say that I am so happy to have a recipe that doesn't require room temperature butter! I can never, ever remember to put my butter out to get to room temperature, so that sets me back a little while! Yay for oil!
This comes together really easily, in just two bowls! I love my KitchenAid mixer, but I was glad to have a recipe that didn't require it. The batter sure is stiff, though. Dorie's right, it's more like a dough than a batter. After baking (and waiting a whole day to try it, because Dorie says it's better that way!), here's what we have:I just wish that I had used another mango. It had a great flavor, especially when you got a big bite of the mango, but I don't think I got quite the 2 cups that the recipe called for. But the flavor of this bread was fabulous. I gave two generous slices to David's grandmother, Mama (pronounced Mamaw...she's my guinea pig), and I think I pretty much ate the rest. I think David had two slices, but mostly it was me.
Last Saturday, I used this recipe to make some banana bread, because I thought the flavors would work really well together. I mashed the banana, so it kind of disappeared into the batter, so next time, I think I'll try to leave some chunks. Overall, this was a great recipe, one I'll definitely use time and again, probably with lots of variations on the fruit. If you'd like the recipe, head on over to Kelly's site. I'd recommend that you go right now.

2 comments:

  1. I love the photo of your ingredients. I sure never heard of mango bread either, but I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a SPD TWD newbie too and I really enjoyed this recipe - the ease and the final result were just great! Your bread looks so tasty! That's a great idea to use banana chunks in a banana bread.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...