Tuesday, May 12, 2009

TWD: Tartest Lemon Tart
If I had to choose one single word to describe this tart, it would be intense. This has got to be the most lemony lemon dessert I've ever put in my mouth. If you don't like lemon at all, don't touch it. If you like lemon, a little, give it a try...it'll make you love lemon. If you already love lemon...make one right now! It's fantastic! This week's recipe was chosen by Barb, who has a great blog called Babette Feasts. Barb, thanks for picking something non-chocolatey!
There were lots of concerns from my fellow TWDers this week about the possibility of some bitterness, because this recipe uses the whole lemon. Yes, everything! (Well, except the seeds.) Some folks encouraged us to just go for it, just seeding the lemon, chopping it up, and throwing it in the blender, bitterness be darned. Other folks suggested boiling the lemon to get a little bitterness out. Still others suggested zesting the lemon, cutting away the pith, then throwing the zest and lemon wedges into the blender. I, personally, feared the bitterness. So I joined the group who spent a little extra time zesting the lemons, seeding them, cutting away the pith, then putting the zest, wedges, and juice in the blender. And, miraculously, there was no bitterness at all!
Other folks had some issues with the filling not setting up, or boiling over in the oven. Another miraculous event: no boilage, and it set up perfectly!
Now, let me tell you my issues. The flavor was fabulous! However, I have a heavy hand with doughs. I like kneading. And I'm forceful. Those are two things that Dorie says we shouldn't be with her shortbread crust! I forgot that until I had jammed that darn crust into the edges of my pan and pressed and pressed and pressed to make it level. I've done that twice now. With the Chocolate Cream Tart and now with this one. I think I've learned my lesson, though. The dough was good, but it wasn't that sandy, shortbready texture I knew it should be. I'll behave myself with my next tart. My final issue: I need a tart pan! I've used a pie pan and this pan, whatever it was, and it's just not the same. I'm not getting the fluted edge, and I can't pop the tart out for pretty pictures. (The tart pan will go on my wish list. However, a new house is first on my wish list, so once that's built, maybe I can get me a tart pan!)
If you're a lemon-lover, definitely make your way over to Babette Feasts for the recipe. You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...