Thursday, July 2, 2009

Roasted Veggies

It's that time of year again...one of my favorite times of the year. Gardens all over the place are beginning to burst at the seams with fresh produce. My mother-in-law's garden is no exception. She saves me so much money during the summer on veggies and blackberries! This week, we came home with a ton of new potatoes, yellowneck squash, zucchini, and fresh green beans. There were enough green beans for a family of 12, at least. There are only two of us! What in the heck was I going to do with green beans? About a year or so ago, I discovered that I love to roast vegetables (especially asparagus). I've roasted just about everything, and I've never had a bad result. But I had never roasted green beans.
Oh.My.Word. I'm in love. I think they've taken my number one roasted veggie spot from asparagus. They were so simple and quick to prepare, but they taste like a million bucks! (At least in my humble opinion.) We've had them two nights this week. And I still have more fresh green beans in the fridge waiting their turn in the 450-degree oven.
I also roasted some of Shirley's yellowneck squash tonight. Before roasting it, I sprinkled some dry Italian dressing mix on them. I love the flavor of the Italian seasoning with the squash. Delish!
Roasted Green Beans
fresh green beans (as many as you like)
4-5 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. In a large bowl, lightly coat the green beans with the extra virgin olive oil. Mix thoroughly, making sure all the green beans are coated very lightly with the olive oil. Spread out the green beans on the sheet pan, making sure to have a single layer of green beans. Sprinkle with the kosher salt and black pepper. Roast for about 12-15 minutes, stirring once. Most of your green beans should have some brown, blistery looking spots on them. That's good...and tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...