Saturday, August 22, 2009

Grilled Nectarines

Growing up, we never really had dessert after dinner at our house. Dessert was a real treat, and it usually went along with a special occasion, like a birthday or something like that. When I went away to college (at Lindsey Wilson College, in Columbia, KY), our dining center was (and still is) amazing. The food was (and still is) delicious! There was always a huge buffet of desserts available after every meal, so it became a habit to get dessert after lunch and dinner. It was a bad habit. When I graduated and moved into my own apartment, I broke that habit, mostly because I just didn't keep a lot of sweet stuff, so it wasn't available. Then, a few years later, I started working for Cedar Lake, and dessert was provided to our clients after every lunch...so I got back into the dessert habit again! I don't work for Cedar Lake anymore, but the habit has gotten much harder to break. Still, after every meal I eat (except breakfast), I think to myself, "Now I need a little something sweet." Today after lunch, I felt that way, but I made a healthy little dessert for David and me.

Since it's late summer, stone fruits are in season, so I picked up a couple of nectarines during my last shopping trip. I've seen people everywhere grilling stone fruits of all kinds, so I thought I ought to jump on the bandwagon and see what the fuss is about!
Grilled stonefruit (nectarines, in this case) is amazing. It's so simple...I just sprinkled a little brown sugar on the flesh side and laid it on a well-greased grill pan for a couple of minutes, until it got a few little grill marks (not as dramatic as I had hoped for, though). I added a little vanilla yogurt and a drizzle of honey, and it was as good as an ice cream sundae...no kidding! The sweetness of the nectarines just seemed to be intensified by the grilling. It was a simple, delicious little dessert that took no time to prepare. If you've got a fridge full of stonefruit, you need to give this a try! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...