Thursday, August 13, 2009

Honey-Lime Chicken Enchiladas

The kiss of death here at The Sweet Life is for me to mention something I plan to make. Inevitably, I never get around to making it, or I post it much later. I've been talking about making something "honey-lime" for about two weeks now...and here's the final result...finally! Honey-Lime Chicken Enchiladas!
I don't really know why I decided I wanted to try the "honey-lime" flavor profile. I've been using a lot of honey lately in my cooking (marinades, etc.), and the idea just hit me while I was in Kroger one day. I had no idea what I'd end up making with this flavor profile, but I knew I could find something online. I originally kind of planned to make some kind of a marinade for flank steak, but I stumbled along these enchiladas instead. They come from The Sisters' Cafe, which is a great little blog! It belongs to a group of five sisters who take turns posting delicious recipes. They've got a little bit of everything to choose from, and they've become one of my "go-to" sites when I want to try something new.
The recipe is super-simple to prepare. The toughest part of the whole thing was finding the green enchilada sauce at Wal-Mart! I finally found it on the clearance aisle. I guess folks in rural Kentucky don't eat a lot of green enchilada sauce. David and I had these last Saturday, after a very busy day of doing...nothing! They were the perfect ending to a perfect, lazy Saturday with my husband!
Honey-Lime Chicken Enchiladas
Marinade:
6 Tbs. honey
4 1/2 Tbs. fresh lime juice (I just juiced 2 limes)
1 Tbs. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Enchiladas:
1 lb. shredded cooked chicken
flour tortillas
Mexican cheese blend, shredded
10 oz. green enchilada sauce
Mix first 4 ingredients together and toss with shredded chicken. Let it "marinate" for at least a half hour (I let it marinate for most of a day). Pour some green enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 10x10 casserole dish or 9x13 pan. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese. Pour the rest of the can of green enchilada sauce over enchiladas then sprinkle with more cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. (Put it under the broiler at the end to make the cheese brown and crispy on the top.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...