Monday, October 19, 2009

Stuffed Peppers

I haven't been keeping up with my blog like I'd like to. It's been kind of neglected for the last couple of weeks, but let me tell you why. David and I are in the process of building our house, and in the evenings after work, we go over there and clean up for an hour or two so the construction people/drywall men/etc. can work the next day and not have to walk around/on/through a bunch of debris. This means that our meals haven't been quite as exciting lately, and when they have been, they've been made after dark. And that means that the picture quality isn't great, but I'm figuring out a few spots in the house that will allow me to take a good picture. Tonight, we had stuffed peppers:
First, let me say that these weren't made using my favorite stuffed pepper recipe. I was in a super-big hurry this morning and couldn't find that recipe, but I did find this one. I ran around the house gathering ingredients out of the freezer and sticking them in the fridge in hopes that they'd be thawed out by the time I got home, so that I could assemble the peppers before going to the new house to clean. (But they weren't.) So, we had Ellie Krieger's Stuffed Peppers. They were okay, but I like my other recipe better. She says I should have used red peppers, which I like better, but they were over a dollar each. The green peppers were 88 cents each. That was an easy choice. I like the fact that she used bulgur, spinach, and zucchini in the filling, but there just wasn't enough flavor. If I make these again, I'll have to jazz these up a bit. I'd probably liberally season both the filling and the insides of the peppers with Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I think that would help a lot.
I do like the feta cheese that she suggested I sprinkle on top, but I don't think I used enough. The topping on my favorite stuffed peppers (the one that I can't find the recipe for) includes cornmeal and olive oil. It is delicious...crunchy, corny, and salty. Much better than tomatoes and feta cheese. But that's another post. If you like stuffed peppers, these are definitely worth a try, but they just aren't my favorite. Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them...
Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers

1 lb. lean ground beef
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 medium zucchini, coarsley grated (about 2 cups)
1 small onion, minced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup bulgur
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
freshly ground black pepper
3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
2 (14.5 oz.) cans low-sodium stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, onion, bulgur, egg, oregano, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until throughly combined.
Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9x13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer.
Now, I'll leave you with a picture of the kitchen. We've still got a ways to go, but it's looking better every day!

2 comments:

  1. i wish my husband would be open to eating something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the house building! Your workers must like that you keep such a clean place for them. I've made Ellie's stuffed peppers before and enjoyed them. I agree though, that they could use a little bit more oomph. But, yours look like a delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...