Tuesday, May 25, 2010

TWD: Banana Coconut Ice Cream Pie

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie assignment was Banana Coconut Ice Cream Pie, chosen by Spike (of Spike Bakes). And it was perfect timing. This week, we'll experience the first of many hot, humid Kentucky summer days. Ice cream pie was a perfect reward after working in the gardne tonight with David's grandmother.
But I'm not so sure that everyone was quite as excited about this ice cream pie. In fact, I'm sure there was lots of gnashing of teeth among the other TWD participants over this pick. This recipe includes two polarizing ingredients...coconut and banana. Before I joined TWD, I had no idea that people had such strong aversions to those two foods. I love bananas, and I don't mind coconut, so I wasn't too concerned about this week's flavor combo. And I hope that lots of people baked along, because this is one tasty pie!
I think it ranks right up there as one of our most simple (and quick!) recipes. The crust was the most time-consuming part, but it only took about 10 minutes to put together (but there was very little real effort involved: crushing cookies into crumbs, melting butter, and stirring coconut until toasted). From there, you slice bananas, whir some bananas, ice cream, and rum in the food processor, and stick it all in the freezer. Easy peasy!
David, Mama, and I really enjoyed this one. After the first bite, I wasn't sure about it, but then I was hooked. Yum! But the very best part? The crust. I could just eat the crust plain. I have a feeling I'll be using it for other pies in the near future. It's so crunchy and flavorful...not too sweet, and not too coconuty. Just perfect crispy perfection.
If you're looking for the perfect summertime dessert, please visit Spike Bakes for the recipe.

9 comments:

  1. Your pie looks delicious with all that whipped cream on top! We liked this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was too hungry to wait for whipped cream, but it would make a great addition. I thought this dessert was excellent, will make it often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks gorgeous! glad to hear it was enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  4. your layering looks awesome. I did a twd rewind...lenox biscotti... b/c bananas/coconut are not my thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks so great w/the whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao ! It looks wonderful !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing--I have to try that crust! Too bad I didn't make it, cause it's in the 90s here, which is very odd for May. Maybe I still have some burnt sugar ice cream in the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pie looks fabulous! I'd like to use the crust for other pies too. I never realized that people felt so strongly about coconut and bananas either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pie looks so wonderful. I hate bananas, but I have to admit that I think your banana layer looks so pretty in the midst of the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...