Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blueberry Torte for Aunt Betty
A couple of months ago, our church's women's group (The Agape Ladies' Group) went to the Crestview Nursing Center in Shelbyville to take desserts to the residents there. Two of the residents just so happened to be my great-great aunts (my great-grandmother's sisters), Aunt Ted and Aunt Mitch. Yes, you read that correctly...they were my aunts and we always called them Mitch and Ted. Both ladies have since passed away (a day apart), and they will be missed! Anyway, my contribution to the dessert menu for our visit was a Blueberry Torte, which was a recipe given to me by my mother-in-law, Shirley.

The first step in the torte is to create the beautiful and delicious nutty crust:

Look at those nuts! This is so easy!

The next step is to make the cream-cheese layer:

again, super easy!

Then, you add the fruit filling of your choice. I chose blueberry:

this is ridiculously simple!
Finally, you add the Cool-Whip layer:
and that's it!
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the slices of the torte, but believe me, it was delicious! My Aunt Betty (my grandmother's sister) loved the torte and asked me for the recipe several times. But I never had the recipe with me, and while I could remember all the components, I couldn't remember the quantities. But finally, I emailed the recipe to her. But I know my Aunt Betty, and something tells me that it's possible that she could lose the recipe I sent her. So here it is! (And now I don't have to dig the recipe out for myself anymore!)

Blueberry Torte
Suzanne Lubera
Crust:
1 1/3 cups flour
1 stick melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans
Mix all the ingredients and press into a 12x9-inch pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool completely.
Filling:
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioner's sugar
Fruit topping of your choice (I used 1 can of blueberry pie filling)
16 oz. Cool-Whip
Mix cream cheese and sugar together and spread on the crust. Spread fruit topping on top of the cream cheese filling and then spread Cool-Whip over the fruit filling.
This dessert is best made a day ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...