Thursday, June 4, 2009

An Easy (Healthy!) Snack...

This week, for Thrifty Thursday, I thought I'd share with you one of my new favorite snacks. It's a little weird, I know, but it's good! It's also healthy and cheap!
For my readers who know me personally, over the last year or so, I've lost about 25 pounds (give or take a little...just depending on whether or not Hogatha makes an appearance). In order to lose the weight, I had to make quite a few changes in the things I eat, and I had to commit to regular exercise. I can handle the exercise part without much problem...I like how strong my body feels, and there's a lot of personal satisfaction that comes from being able to run 4 miles or more without stopping. But I LOVE FOOD. I can't think of too many things that I love more than sitting down and enjoying some really good food (which doesn't necessarily mean high-end food, either). I've really had to get used to the idea of moderation, and as I've mentioned in at least one previous post, I had to find ways to feed my cravings that were a little better for me. When I crave a food, it's usually something salty and crunchy. I could eat french fries for every meal, every day. I love a good potato chip...especially salt and vinegar. But you all know that those things aren't that figure-friendly. So what's a girl to do? Enter...

the chickpea! I know...ya'll think I've lost my mind. But just wait...these will be salty, crunchy, yummy...addictive! You need to drain your chickpeas and dry them off pretty well with paper towels. Then, spray your baking sheet (I've found that a stoneware one, like you'd get from The Pampered Chef, gives the best results, but you can use a regular baking sheet, too) with olive oil spray. Spread out your drained chickpeas in a single layer over the baking sheet, then spray them with the olive oil spray, too. Don't drench 'em...just a nice little coat.
The next step is to season them with whatever makes your skirt fly up (as the Pioneer Woman says). Cavender's Greek Seasoning makes my skirt fly up. I put it on EVERYTHING.

Use as much as you want. I love the Greek seasoning, so I give it a pretty liberal dusting. Do what you think is best. Then, I just kind of shake the pan around so they roll around in the olive oil and seasoning. If the seasoning looks skimpy, I might add more. It's a judgement call. Then, you throw them into a 425-degree oven for about 40 minutes (give or take). You're going to have to check on them. You want them to be nice and brown, and crispy-looking. Once they look like they're getting done, eat one. See if it meets your crispyness expectations. I like mine pretty crispy, crunchity. Once they're done, they look like this:
So, now are you wondering what to do with them? I let them cool off completely (still in the single layer on the baking sheet), then I put them in a little plastic container. I just eat them plain, most of the time. They really satisfy a salty, cruncy craving. But I also recently discovered that they are VERY tasty on a salad. Better than a crouton, even!
Yeah, I know...it's strange. But they're really good. They don't cost much to make (so maybe they are thrifty!), and you'll get a good dose of fiber with your snack! If you're feeling adventurous...give them a try!

1 comment:

  1. Hi erin! Great post, never thought to roast chick peas, but it makes sense to me :) Please add a link to Thrifty Thursday in this post since you posted your link in Mr Linky. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...