Sunday, September 13, 2009

Mama's Birthday Dinner

David's grandmother, who is called "Mama" by all the grand- and great-grandkids, is our next-door neighbor. She is also my chief taste-tester. Her birthday was last weekend (on the same day as the big dove shoot I wrote about last week). She kept saying that she didn't want any gifts, so I knew exactly what our gift to her would be.

Chicken Pot Pie! Mama first had my chicken pot pie about a year ago, I guess, and she always says that it's the best thing I make. I think that's a pretty high compliment from someone who cooks and bakes as well as Mama! We had her over tonight for a very late birthday celebration (due to my crazy work schedule), and I think she was very pleased with how it turned out!
I have no idea where I got the recipe. I apologize if it belongs to you, and I don't give you credit. If it's yours, please let me know! But I have a feeling that it's from the Bisquick people, because the original recipe calls for a Bisquick topping, but I made my biscuit dough from scratch, using this recipe.
Mama's Favorite Chicken Pot Pie
Unknown (Pot Pie)/Pinch My Salt (Biscuit Topping [adapted])
For the Pot Pie:
3 cups cooked diced chicken
16 oz. frozen mixed vegetables
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp. pepper
For the Biscuit Topping:
1 1/4 cup cake flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into small chunks
3/4 cup buttermilk
4 tbs. butter, melted
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
For the Pot Pie:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 2-quart baking dish. Spread chicken and vegetables evenly in prepared dish. Stir together soup, broth, and pepper in small mixing bowl; pour evenly over chicken mixture.
For the Biscuit Topping:
Whisk together all the dry ingredients. Add butter and cut into flour using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the buttermilk, and mix with a fork until the dough becomes shaggy.
Assembling the Pot Pie:
Melt the butter. Add garlic powder and stir. Spread the biscuit dough over the pot pie. Brush with the melted butter. Bake, uncovered for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...