Monday, November 9, 2009

Balsamic Chicken and Mushrooms

It's awfully late for me to be posting, but I've neglected my little blog for far too long. It's almost been a week since I left a post, and I can't stand it. This won't be much of a post, but at least it'll be something!
David and I went to Homecoming at LWC this past weekend, and we went a little overboard on eating. We did okay for breakfast Saturday morning, since we had a 5K race to run, but at lunch, we went hog wild. We went to Tray's Garden, a delightful little Chinese buffet, and we put the hurt on it. But we were so hungry! We didn't do so well on the car ride home, either. We split some nachos while watching the ballgames (we sat on the bleachers for 5 1/2 stinkin' hours...and suffered through a double-overtime!), then just ate junk in the car on the way home...pretzels, popcorn, and pepperoni pizza flavored Combos. Tonight, we needed something flavorful, but light.
So we had chicken! I think we've had this recipe before, but tonight it tasted so much better! I love balsamic vinegar and mushrooms, so I didn't figure I could go wrong with this flavor combo. I found the recipe from Heather's Website, which is one of my favorites when I'm looking for a recipe that's light, healthy, full of flavor, and sure to push me out of my comfort zone. This one didn't really require any strange ingredients or unusual flavor profiles, but it was easy to throw together with things I had in my pantry/fridge. The only thing I needed to purchase were the mushrooms.
I served the Balsamic Chicken and Mushrooms with green beans and roasted new potatoes. (We LOVE new potatoes and could eat them roasted every night...but we try not to!) Be sure you try this yummy recipe soon...I think this might go into our regular rotation.
Balsamic Chicken and Mushrooms
2 tsp. canola oil
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard (I used coarse grain...it was all I had)
1 clove garlic (I used 2 big ones)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups mushrooms, quartered (I used baby portobellos)
1/4 tsp. thyme, crushed
1/3 cup chicken broth
Heat 1 tsp. oil in a nonstick skillet. Mix 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar, mustard, and the garlic. Add chicken and turn to coat.
Transfer chicken and marinade to skillet. Saute chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to skillet and keep warm.
Heat remaining tsp oil in skillet. Add mushrooms and saute 1 minute. Add broth, thyme, and remaining Tbs. of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer.
Serve chicken topped with mushrooms.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like delicious chicken. Your weekend sounds like it was so much fun. This recipe looks like a wonderful way to recover from the fun but still enjoy dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...